For retirees who are in the enviable position of not needing distributions from their IRAs or 401ks, the fact that they must start taking them is generally unwelcome. Instead of the money continuing to grow on a tax-deferred basis, some of it will be subject to taxation upon distribution. A recent New York Times article discusses the […]
About Kevin O'Reilly, CFP®Kevin O'Reilly, CFP®, is a financial advisor who specializes in working with parents of twins and triplets. Have a financial question? Ask Kevin!
Have you ever wondered who owns the skyscrapers in America’s major cities? It’s not just Donald Trump. In fact, unless The Donald puts his name on it, chances are a REIT owns it. A REIT (rhymes with “tweet”) is simply a corporation that owns real estate. The acronym stands for Real Estate Investment Trust. Long […]
Many Americans have no retirement savings A new Bankrate.com survey has determined that 36% of Americans have saved exactly nothing for retirement. Nada. Zero. Although the coverage I’ve seen so far suggests that the issue is most serious in the case of Millenials, I disagree. If you’re in your twenties, you have time to recover, […]
Full disclosure: I’m not a stranger to the McDonald’s drive-thru. That’s not a statement of pride…just fact. Typically, my visit involves buying a large Diet Coke. And no, this post is not brought to you by purveyors of unhealthy substances, or the Camelback Fund. (link) I’m a fan of the Southwest Chicken Salad, too. I […]
Sometimes, we in the financial services industry get so immersed in what we do that we kind of forget that the rest of the world may not understand about the terminology we use. In other words, we tend to throw around lingo without checking to ensure that we are being understood. That’s not a concern […]
In an earlier post I introduced a new series that will lay out some of the key risks that accompany investing in various types of securities. This first entry will address the general market risk faced by stock investors. Market Risk for Stocks Market risk is risk that is driven by the ups and downs […]
This week Kevin was quoted in an article examining whether or not to take a bit more risk to generate more yield for your emergency fund. Generally, I’m not a fan of taking on additional risk for funds that are truly designated to protect against emergencies. However, maximizing the yield you receive with those funds […]
One of the areas that I think is difficult for investors to truly get their arms around is risk. Specifically, the level of risk individuals are taking when they invest. One of the reasons for the fuzziness is that there are a number of ways to view risk. Warren Buffett views it as the likelihood […]
At the urging of digital marketing guru Stephanie Sammons, I’ve just accepted a challenge to publish a Sweet 16 of blog posts in celebration of March Madness. Formally, this is the Wired Advisor March Madness Financial Blog Challenge. Was this a good idea? I don’t know yet. Things are extremely busy at Foothills Financial Planning, […]
Opportunity to Join America Saves Week and Promote the Importance of Saving America Saves Week, February 24 – March 1, 2014, is an annual opportunity for organizations to promote good savings behavior and a chance for individuals to assess their own saving status. Foothills Financial Planning has once again joined this important effort. Through its […]
About Kevin O’Reilly
Kevin O'Reilly, CFP® is the principal of Foothills Financial Planning, Inc., a licensed Investment Advisory firm based in the Ahwatukee Foothills neighborhood of Phoenix, Arizona, with an office in North Phoenix/Scottsale. Kevin is also the proud father of triplets!
- A Roth IRA Revolution March 27, 2012
- From TwentySomething to Millionaire November 26, 2012
- The Easier It Is, the More We Spend February 12, 2013
- Stuff My Triplets Say – Credit Cards December 15, 2012
- Staying The Course March 10, 2012
- So it’s time to take your first RMD April 1, 2015
- What is a REIT? September 15, 2014
- More than 1/3 of Americans have saved nothing for retirement August 18, 2014
- McDonald’s Menus and Personal Finance August 6, 2014
- What Is a Stock’s Market Cap? March 19, 2014
- Kevin O\'Reilly, CFP®: Agreed. There are some good, free tools out there...
- J Andejeski: Websites like Mint.com will track your purchases f...
- McDonald’s Menus and Personal Finance | Multiples and Money: […] talked before about how the easier it is...
- Investing is Risky – Market Risk | Multiples and Money: […] an earlier post I introduced a new serie...
- Pay Less at the Gas Pump This Summer | Multiples and Money: [...] 4% on average each year. That equates to a...
Follow @kporeilly on Twitter